Serving Our Friends since 1896
In 1896 Edward E. O'Rourke opened a funeral home in Ellicottville, New York and started the O'Rourke family in funeral service. In 1919, Edward's son, James C. O'Rourke formed a partnership with his father and opened a store front funeral home on Main Street in Salamanca, New York. The Seitz home at 25 River Street in Salamanca was purchased in 1930 by James who relocated the business to his new home. The funeral home continues to operate at 25 River Street in Salamanca.
When James retired, the funeral home was operated by his sons, John D. 'Jack' O'Rourke, a University of Notre Dame graduate and Thomas O'Rourke. Currently, the funeral home is owned by the fourth generation, John C. O'Rourke (St. Bonaventure University) and Kevin M. O'Rourke (Niagara University)
While serving our friends for well over a hundred years we have experienced many changes in funeral sevice. We were the first funeral home in Cattaraugus County to offer a motor driven hearse. During the 1970's our business was expanded to include; the O'Rourke Monument Company and Century Carpet & Bedding Centre. The funeral home, monument store and the carpet store are all located on River Street, in Salamanca, New York.